Saturday 27 April 2013

The Job of a Chemist


            Chemists are a type of scientists who study chemicals and how they react with each other. Their duties can include but are not limited to collecting samples and analyzing the chemical makeup of substances, and developing and testing products. Personally, I really enjoy learning what my earth and everything around me is made of. Learning all the elements that exist is something I enjoy because everything on earth is made up of one of more of the elements listed in  a unique way on a table we call the periodic table. Every so often, chemists discover new elements, sometimes they even create their own lab manufactured elements which are not naturally occurring. This allows people in this sector to have even more thought and knowledge about substances in our world.

            The primary step in becoming a chemist is taking math and science courses in high school as they play major roles in this career. Computer studies are also recommended as it is with most careers today. The lowest degree required to get a job in the field of chemistry is a bachelor’s degree, with this you would only be able to perform simple tasks such as running equipment and preparing chemicals. However, a master’s degree is required for more advanced positions such as researchers. For the most advanced positions such as professors at colleges or universities, a PhD is required in order to teach this subject. To become a chemistry professor, it will easily take a minimum of 10 years of university education, so as with any type of professor, you must be really committed if you wish to become one. Chemistry as I mentioned before is something I greatly enjoy, I am a type of person who likes to do things hands on, which the job of a chemist involves; teaching is not something I believe I would enjoy so I can say that if I studied chemistry at university I would probably be studying a maximum of 6 years. Right now chemistry and chemical engineering are two of the programs near the top of my list of preferred university programs. All the programs I currently have in mind of taking are all to do with science or engineering and the job of a chemist fits perfectly. If looking to study chemistry, The University of Toronto is one you can’t go wrong with, as a matter of fact this is a world renowned university, one that is rated fairly high in all subject areas. Some other universities which are recommended are the universities of Ottawa and Waterloo.

            An advantage of studying chemistry is that you can get recruited and become a chemist straight out of university as companies often recruit directly from there. This would greatly help students as at that time you would probably have very little job experience and not know where to start, but instead companies are making it easier by coming to you. Computers play a major role, sometimes all your work in a week may be done on one. For example, certain chemists develop and research theories, all of which is done through a computer. I definitely enjoy this because I spend multiple hours daily on mine and I usually don’t get tired of it allowing me to have an easier transition from university to the job of a chemist. There are multiple sectors to choose from such as field work and research labs, both of which involve hands on work and problem solving. The wages earned are also another benefit, annual earnings under $50,000 do occur but these are typically for people who are new to the field or in lower fields such as chemical testing. Working as a chemical researcher, you can expect to be earning roughly $70,000 by the midpoint of your career. I’ve always enjoyed science and from my grade 9 science class, I could tell chemistry was definitely my strong suit. I have a keen eye for knowledge and in this field, I don’t believe the gaining of knowledge can stop because researchers are always discovering new molecules, elements and other compositions of our world.

Sources Used
Chemist: At a Glance
Chemist Profile
What Are Some Careers in Chemistry?

No comments:

Post a Comment